Custom AHU with Desiccant Dehumidification
This XeteX project features an outdoor custom Air Handling Unit with a Desiccant Dehumidification Wheel for a Surgical Suite application.
Hospital and healthcare owners are increasingly challenging their surgical suite HVAC designs to operate at lower than historical space temperatures. This, however, presents a significant challenge for the air handling system that serves these critical spaces.
The primary challenge is, as the space temperature dew point (db) is lowered, the subsequent space dp must also be lowered to ensure the space relative humidity remains within permitted range. In many cases, this means delivering a supply air dew point at 40°F or lower to the surgical suite.
To achieve this efficiently and reliably, one of the most effective methods is through the use of a desiccant dehumidification energy recovery wheel. The featured XeteX custom air handling unit below was specifically designed to meet the exacting requirements of a low dew point surgical suite.
Weight: 19,000 lbs.
Supply CFM: 9,500
Regen CFM: 2,459
Energy Recovery: Desiccant Wheel
Cool Type: DX with packaged AC
- Outdoor unit with 20ga painted acrylic exterior
- 316 stainless steel interior on supply airstream
- 3” injected foam panels
- Desiccant dehumidification rotor
- Dual direct drive supply and return fans
- Backdraft dampers
- Piezo ring air flow measurement
- DX post cooling coil (sensible)
- UV lights on DX coil
- 12” HEPA final filters
- Outside air flow monitoring
- 57 tons air cooled condensing with low ambient kit
- Steam Humidifier manifold with SS drain pan
- Factory provided and fully programmed DDC controls
Contact XeteX for assistance on your next custom air handling unit for any application.